Tuesday, December 16, 2008

The Biggest Loser


Note: This is just a rhetorical blog, thoughts I'm having as I watch this show's finale tonight. Just trying to sort through my thoughts out loud...
---------------------------------------------------
The kids and I are watching The Biggest Loser finale as I write this. Man, all of the contestants (so far, at least) have had amazing results. I know that on the Biggest Loser campus these folks exercise for hours everyday and have NO access to temptations, like Christmas cookies and other junk. I know that they have help, but they've all gone home and been successful.

I guess I'm feeling a little irked that I am not getting results for my own weight loss journey. I've been running, jogging, walking, trying to eat more vegetables and less cookies. I've been getting on that stupid elliptical trainer at least 3 times a week since April! My pants are looser, but it's not happening fast enough. I guess I need to up my game. I need to get serious - I mean really serious. I want to want it more than I have wanted anything in a long time. There are so, so, so many ways to make excuses. It's so easy to say, "I'll exercise tomorrow", or "I'll only eat one cookie." But, it almost never happens that way. Why is that? Why do I put everyone else ahead of me?

I want to like to exercise more than I do. I have just recently reached the stage where I feel guilty if I miss a day or 2. (It was torture not to be able to get outside and walk for those 4 days of non-stop rain we had last week.) But, 4 hours a week isn't enough. I know that. I can see that those hours are not burning enough calories to make the differences that I want to see.

So what is the next step? Where do I start? Well, I've made a deal with myself. I will do something every single day. Every day. If I can't get out and walk/jog for an hour, I will get on the elliptical trainer, or the WiiFit, or go to the park and walk the track, or something - something. I will do it. Seven days a week. For at least 30 minutes. I will make it a part of my life, just like showering, or eating dinner, or washing the dishes. Why shouldn't I? My best friend told me years ago that I deserve 30 minutes a day for me, but I have never used those 30 minutes as wisely as I could have or should have.

For those friends, family, and readers out there. Say a prayer for me. Make me accountable for it. Tell me that I deserve to do these things for me, that I have to do these things for me. It's not too late to make this journey, but I won't be able to do it alone.

This is officially my resolution for 2009. And I mean every word of it.

2 comments:

RangersGirl said...

I have been having the same dilema. Only my excuse is work -- I have been slammed at work non-stop. When I start working out I get sick.

I feel lame because as a single person everyone thinks I should have all this free time to work out. With the commute and the long work day - - I am barely getting enough time to sleep.

I hate how I look in most of my pictures from this summer/fall/holiday. I am going to start up again after the holiday craziness.

Excited for you that you are getting results!

OHmommy said...

LOL... I have made a familiar resolution. THIS is the year for me. My trainer said that three or four days is not enough. Sigh.

Way to go!