Wednesday, June 8, 2011

I'm Turning 40 Tomorrow...

image from www.cafepress.com



I really haven't thought of my age a whole lot since I turned 30. I was sure that turning 30 was going to be a tough birthday for me.


It actually ended up being very nice. A neighbor offered to keep our 2 girls and Jon and I ate dinner at the German Outback Steakhouse and went to a great Volksfest and rode rides.


It was a great day.


Even though the kids are growing and getting older, I don't see myself as "old". Sometimes I don't even feel like a grown-up. I mean, I play with the kids. I watch "Glee". I sing karaoke and color with Abby. We swim and goof around and I feel like I can do most of the "kid" things still.


Tomorrow I'll be 40. My body doesn't feel 40, even though it has a few battle scars and a couple more pounds than I'd like. I don't feel "O-L-D".


But, knowing that tomorrow my new age will start with a "4" scares me just a tiny little bit.


Why? I don't really know. There's no reason for it to.


Life at Casa Heffner is pretty good these days. The summer weather is gorgeous, Virginia is lovely (except for the traffic and crazy drivers...), and 9 days out of 10 my job doesn't suck. The kids and Jon are good, and we've seen more of Jon in the last year than we have the rest of his military career!


But being "in my 40's" scares me. In my mind, it's closer to "the end".


Not to be morbid. I am NOWHERE near being ready for the end of this life.


It's not the number itself. It's really hard to explain.


Hopefully tomorrow will be wonderful and I won't feel a bit different........

No comments: