Monday, May 4, 2009

Happy Birthday Alexandra!


Alex is away at Camp Erdman for her 5th grade End-of-Year Field Trip. She'll be gone for 3 days - May 4th through the 6th.

It's the first time in any of my children's lives that I have not been with them on their birthdays. Now, I am sure that Alex is having a WONDERFUL time. (This morning when I woke her up, instead of saying "Good Morning, Mom", she said "It's Camp Erdman Day!!")

But for me, well, I am a little sad. Mostly because she's not here on her special day. I know her birthday will be great, and I am not worried at all about her being homesick. I am just sad that I can't hug her on her special day.

So, instead, I decided to write her a little letter, that I will share with all of you:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Alex -

You're 11! I am amazed at how fast you've grown into a young lady. I can remember vividly the day that you joined our family.

I knew I was in labor at around 5 am. We were expecting you - there had been some signs that you were coming very soon. We took Alissa to a friend's house to stay and Dad drove me to the hospital.

I wasn't in labor long - you were born at 1:21 pm. It only took one push! The doctor had stepped away from me, just for a second, and almost didn't make it back in time to catch you as you came out!

The first 2 things I said to you were: "You are so beautiful" and "You look just like your big sister". (That second statement didn't last long, but in that first moment I swore you looked just like Alissa.)

You have been a joy to me since that first day. 99% of your life you have been in a wonderfully good mood. Always happy, always smiling and laughing and giggling. It is rare for you to be unhappy, and when you are it almost always goes away immediately. You always see the positive, no matter what. You are such an inspiration to me, and I know that your happiness and positive attitude will take you far in life.

You are the apple of Daddy's eye, and you look, act, and sound just like him. And me, well, you mean more to me than anything in the world (Ok, you're tied with your sisters and Daddy). I can't wait to see you at the end of the school day because I know you will have stories and laughter and hugs to share.

Oh Alex, I love you so much. And I will miss seeing you on your 11th birthday. But, we will see you the day after, and we will celebrate with our friends this weekend. Knowing that makes your brief absence a little more bearable.

I hope that your field trip is an unbelievably good time. And I hope that someone sings Happy Birthday to You. (We'll sing it here at home, too, even though you won't be here, just so you know you are in our thoughts.)

We bought your present tonight. I think you will be excited and happy and satisfied.

I can't wait to see you on Wednesday!

(To friends and family: If you call on Tuesday and I sound sad, you now know why. Things are fine, I am just missing my Alex.)

2 comments:

RangersGirl said...

I can't believe she is 11! I remember when she was just a little baby when I came to visit you guys in Germany. I can't believe its been THAT long ago already!

Tell her I said Happy Birthday!

Carrol said...

Tell her Grandma Carrol and Grandpa Jim say "HAPPY BIRTHDAY" too. What a fantastic thing to do on your birthday - go to camp!
It's hard to believe Alex is 11 already - growing up too fast for us.
Hugs and Kisses for all, especially for Alex to celebrate her birthday.

Love,
Grandpa Jim and Grandma Carrol