Thursday, November 20, 2008

I Ran!!!


Ok, I did something today. Something I thought I couldn't do. Something I never imagined I would ever do.

Wait for it.....

I RAN!

Ok, I'm sure you're either thinking "So what?" or "What's the big deal?" Hang on while I briefly catch you up.

If you've met me, or ever spent time with me, you know that I am NOT a runner. Never have been. Ever. Did I mention that I am, at best, a sporadic exerciser? Well, until we moved here to Hawaii.

I have been on my elliptical machine quite a bit in the last 6 months. But, I got bored from it and I was afraid that I would lose the momentum I'd gained - "working out" 3 or 4 days a week. It felt good, and it is a great stress relief, and boy did I feel accomplished that I could stay on that thing for 45 minutes at a stretch without dying. I even took pictures of the control screens to prove that I had done it!

I decided, after talking to my neighbor, to give walking in the nearby neighborhoods a try. Why not? It's sunny almost all the time, and warm, and there are always TONS of people walking, no matter what time of day. So, about a month ago I did. I just started walking. It started with a mile. About all I could do. Then, before I knew it, I was up to 4 miles a stretch! (To those who are not impressed, believe me - it is worth screaming from the rooftops to me.) I've been doing this about 3-4 days a week.

But this week I decided that I was ready to add - gasp - jogging! Well, to me, jogging is just walking a bit faster. But, I did it. Walk, jog, walk, jog. And I felt good. Really, really good.

And today I took it even a step further. I RAN! I mean really ran. Not sissy running, not fast walking. (OK, not sprinting, though, either.) Running. And for half-mile stretches!

HALF Mile stretches.
And it didn't kill me.

For those of you still not impressed - did I mention that I have never been a runner in my life? Ever?

Being active on a regular basis is - dare I say it - Fun! And, sometimes it's the only time that I leave the house all day (besides school carpool).

And today was pure euphoria. I am crying as I write this because I have done something that I thought was impossible. Something I never thought I would ever even try. And not only did I try it, but I did it. And I think I'll do it again tomorrow.

I did it!
What a blessed day!!!

3 comments:

Cindy @ Marriedtothemilitary {dot} net said...

I am totally impressed. I can't run for crap. I used to try and run at the gym, but since I don't go anymore, so more running LOL.

Christy said...

I'm so proud of you! That's awesome! Kind of like you, I didn't ever run until a couple of months ago but once I did it was great! Keep pushing yourself and keep it up. The exercise and sunshine is good for your physical as well as emotional health.

RangersGirl said...

Tiffany that is GREAT!

Don't stop! It is so hard when you have been an active person, and stop being active - - it is so hard to get re-started, take it from me. So now that you are started, don't stop!